Thursday 12 November 2015

Untappd and me

In one of my recent blogs I let it be known that I had become an Untappd supporter, effectively I now subscribe by paying a small fee per month. The only other one I currently pay for is Endomondo, a fitness app that I use to track my running.
Now, you may ask why I have done this, what's the point? What do I get for my money?
Good questions, and I shall endeavour to answer them.
 
I love lists and stats, hence an app such as Untappd appeals to this side of me, it is also very orderly and very neat, another plus for me (it is possible I have a touch of OCD). My access to lists and stats has now increased thanks to being a supporter.
 
It serves as a diary of the beers I have tried, many a time I have forgotten I have had a beer, then I see that star in the top right hand corner and realise that at some point, somewhere, I have tried it. At this point I often look to see what I had rated it previously, and the comments I noted in the past, perhaps I have changed or the beer has, if so, comment and rating might both be updated.
While attending a local home brew festival recently, a friend of mine was chatting to one of the brewers, his dark beer had gone down a treat and i asked him if he had brewed and presented a beer at the same showcase in 2014, he confirmed he had. I searched, found him, and upon checking discovered that i thoroughly enjoyed his offering from last year too.
 
I like the fact that your check-in and comments can be shared via your social media vehicle of choice, sometimes it can open a real discussion point. On other occassions, it can be commiserations, something that happened to me the day before I went to Indy Man Beer Con, when I went to a friend's wedding. My choices on the day ranged from the bad, the ugly and the OMG what were you thinking?!?!

Badges! I love 'em. For me it is all part of the fun, especially true during bottle shares and beer festivals. The badges certainly came into their own in September when a number of people donated to MacMillan (#bigbeerynight) based on how many badges were collected over an agreed period. In fact, one person, who shall remain nameless (@MylesLambert) got a six bagger for one beer check-in. Needless to say, abuse soon followed!
 
I am part of a community and by paying a relatively small sum of money each month i feel that i am contributing to that community. I have a number of friends on Untappd, some of them i know personally, some i have met and some i will probably never come into contact with, but, i do like seeing what others are drinking and the comments/ratings that come with the check-in.

There are some who have fallen out of love with Untappd, and, that is ok, not all relationships are meant to last. For me, Untappd adds to the beery experience, and for the foreseeable future i intend to remain a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment